In this episode, we share a few last thoughts on the Identity series, including our experience attending the UU fellowship two weeks in a row. Leslie reports that he's quite confident about his choice to no longer call himself a Christian - it feels like an act of protest.
We talk a little bit about what has changed for us, and for the podcast, in 2018 since we moved our identity from Marriage Startup to Glimmering, and added the "live justly" aspect to our focus.
Next is a back and forth "Top Ten Extravaganza" of stuff that impacted our lives in 2018. Laura's autoimmune brain fog is fully on display, as Leslie mentions several major highlights of the year that she didn't even think of, like our trip to Italy and getting a dog.
Finally, we look forward to the New Year and what 2019 will bring both professionally and personally. Leslie's working on a new project just for fun (and self-edification), and Laura is excited to announce that Wild Goose Guidance is baaaaack! And New Moon cards are going to be free again. You can read all about it here.Support Glimmering Podcast
- What it’s like to get fired for being gay in 2018 – Jeremy Gimbel – Medium — This wasn’t the year I expected to become a target of homophobia. Not in 2018, not anymore, not since we’ve come so far. But indeed that’s precisely what happened. And so without further introduction, here is the story of a very special Christmas gift that American Bible Society delivered to its staff in December 2017.
- John Leguizamo's Latin History for Morons | Netflix Official Site — In this one-man Broadway show, John Leguizamo finds humor and heartbreak as he traces 3,000 years of Latin history in an effort to help his bullied son.
- Syllabus found in the playbill for Jon Leguizamo's Lation History for Morons — All the books from the official Latin History for Morons playbill conveniently collected at Goodreads.
- Headlong Podcast: Surviving Y2K — December 31, 1999: The world braced for disaster as midnight approached. Then, nothing happened. The hysteria over the Y2K computer bug quickly became an afterthought; a punch-line. In Surviving Y2K, Dan Taberski takes you back to the turn of the millennium to meet the people for whom it was anything but a joke — computer coders, conspiracy theorists, survivalists, and true believers — as they each face their own version of the apocalypse.
- Good Christian Fun Podcast — Good Christian Fun is a comedy podcast delving into the strange upside-down world of Christian pop culture. Hosts Kevin T. Porter and Caroline Ely are your tour guides through the weird and hilarious world of faith-based entertainment. GCF is a show for skeptics and believers alike, all are welcome. Don't worry, we won't make you go to church. ;)
- Postcards To Voters — Postcards to Voters are friendly, handwritten reminders from volunteers to targeted voters giving Democrats a winning edge in close, key races coast to coast.
- Home - Resistance Labs — We leverage technology and our army of passionate, remote volunteers to help progressives run and win everywhere.
- Seeing White – Scene on Radio — Where did the notion of “whiteness” come from? What does it mean? What is whiteness for? Scene on Radio host and producer John Biewen took a deep dive into these questions, along with an array of leading scholars and regular guest Dr. Chenjerai Kumanyika, in this fourteen-part documentary series, released between February and August 2017.
- Panda Planner® Weekly — The planner that Laura is using this year.
- The Hate U Give — One of the most memorable books Laura read (listened to) this year.
- Potion Explosion — Laura's favorite family game of 2018.
- My Little Scythe — The board game Leslie mentioned at the top of the show.
- The Essex Serpent — Set in late nineteenth-century England, about an intellectually minded young widow, a pious vicar, and a rumored mythical serpent that explores questions about science and religion, skepticism, and faith, independence and love.
- Esther Perel's books and podcasts — Psychotherapist and New York Times bestselling author Esther Perel is recognized as one of today’s most insightful and original voices on modern relationships. We agree!
- MaryRuth's Vegan Liquid Morning Vitamin — I didn't end up listing this in my top ten, but want to put it out there. This is the most effective daily vitamin our family has ever used! We mix it with a shot of Young Living's NingXia Red (an antioxidant juice blend) and even the supertaster kids love it. We've just started the kids on the K2+D3+Calcium gummy supplement, too. The texture is like a soft, silky Starburst and the peach/apricot/mango flavor is fantastic. These are affiliate links directly to MaryRuth's, because we are trying to stop supporting Amazon as much as possible. We understand what a privilege it is to be able to distance ourselves from Amazon, and if you can't do that, no worries; you can purchase them there as well. :)
- Resistbot — Text the word congress to Resistbot on Messenger, Twitter, Telegram, or to 50409 on SMS* and I’ll find out who represents you in Congress, and deliver your message to your two Senators and representative in under 2 minutes. No downloads or apps required
- Dot All Conf | The Craft CMS Developers Conference 2018 — The official Craft CMS Developer conference
- The Unheavenly Creatures [Explicit] by Coheed & Cambria on Amazon Music - Amazon.com